Another Labor Day recipe that I did for this year was some baked beans. I took an extra challenge to make certain I did not use any nightshade items in the ingredients as my mother has an allergy to nightshade and baked beans are quite difficult to find that she can eat. Sadly, my mother was not at this party as much distance parts us, but I wanted to use the chance to create a recipe that she can enjoy for when she visits. I know this will be a surprise that she’ll enjoy! So, not only is this recipe free of the top ten allergens, but additionally, nightshade.
It happened that it was a hit with the Brecheisen Batch, too! So, not only is it allergy friendly, but family approved!
Slow Cooker Baked Beans
Total Time: 14 hrs
- 5 cans of Northern Beans, drained
- 1 cup of water
- 1 pound of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup of onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup of molasses
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 Tsp of dry mustard
- The night before or in the morning of wanting to have the beans drain the beans and pour into the slow cooker. Add the cup of water.
- Crumble the cooked bacon by knife or hand. Stir in the cooked bacon.
- Add the chopped onion, molasses, brown sugar, and dry mustard.
- Cover and cook on low for 12 to 14 hours.
- Stir in pepper to taste before serving!
All the Best,