Fall is here! Finally, chill is in the air with the humidity fading to something slightly more manageable. For the Brecheisen Batch, this week has been intensely crazy with ups and downs. A yummy soup to warm from the toes up was definitely called for. I love onions! So, french onion soup is a delicious treat for me, even without bread or cheese.
After this week, this soup was just the cure to melt us into relaxation.
French Onion Soup
Total Time: 3 hours
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups thinly vertically sliced yellow onions
- 4 cups thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Optional, 8 slices of toasted bread
- Optional, shredded mozerella
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in sugar, pepper, and salt. Reduce heat to medium; cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high, and sauté for 5 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Stir in water, and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.
- In a soup bowl, if using bread, put the toast at bottom of the bowl, and spoon in the soup, and top with cheese. If not, pour into a bowl and enjoy!
All the Best,
The Brecheisen Batch