So, in my family, Mr. B & I love corn. I sometimes crave it – corn on the cob, corn off the cob, corn chips, fritos, & yum-yum cornbread! Seriously, can I get enough of corn? Right now, it definitely does not feel so. Bring me the corn!
I don’t know about you, but for myself, sometimes I go through a veggie phase where I will just intensely crave just one particular vegetable – right now, it’s corn. In the past, it has been carrots. Those jokes about too much carrots can turn you orange? Yeah, it’s true. My fingertips and around my mouth was proof to that! It, also, told me that, perhaps, I had to cut back my love for the carrot. I recall that when I had come to that realization as I looked in the mirror, startled, by the orange staring back at me – a sadness of knowing I must end my carrot craze.
Right now, I feel like I’m in such a phase with corn! So to help subdue this craze, I can not get enough of cornbread! Therefore, despite my recent post on Sweet & Spicy Cornbread Chili, I’m still going to share this delicious cornbread recipe that is from scratch – and when you just have a hankering for some cornbread with the happy luck of having the ingredients at hand! (Just like I did!)
Serves: 8 wedges of Cornbread
Free of the Top Eight Food Allergens.
- 1 cup of All Purpose Gluten-Free FlourAll Purpose Gluten-Free Flour (or just AP flour)
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon of guar gum or xanthun gum
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons of salt
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 1 1/4 cup of unsweetened original almond milk (or cows milk)
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce (or one egg)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients of flour, cornmeal, guar gum, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients of canola oil, almond milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry; stir gently to not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake between 25 minutes to 30 minutes. Remove from pan – and serve immediately!