Here is my beloved Puppy Chow recipe, or what is is called in my family, Mud Puppies. Why Mud Puppies? Well, this delicious treat is called by two different names of Mud Buddies and Puppy Chow. When presenting the treat for the first to my husband, I accidentally called it Mud Puppies. It stuck every since.
This dessert is, by far, I think is my very favorite just grab and go treat. It is dangerous in the household to have, because it disappears far too quickly. It is easy to make – and eat!
In fair warning, this is a messy, oh so very messy, dessert to make. Personally, I love it. I love getting my hands into my recipes, but I know for others, that is not the case. So, be warned, by hands or spoon, this is a very messy recipe! It’s a great one to get the kids involved with as it is so simple and family friendly to make (and eat).
So, by however you may call it, enjoy this allergy and family friendly recipe that is always a hit in this household!
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Free of :Gluten, Dairy, Egg, Soy, Peanuts
- 9 cups of Rice Chex (or similar type. It is a deliciously big recipe that uses up, basically, the whole box of cereal.)
- 1/2 cup of Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (or you can do just 1 cup of semi-sweet instead, but I prefer the mix of the sweet with the dark for the balance.)
- 1/2 cup of Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips. (Enjoy Life is an allergy-free brand of chocolate.)
- 1/2 cup of almond butter
- 1/4 of Earth Balance Soy-Free Butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of powdered sugar
- In a very large bowl, add the nine cups of cereal. Set aside momentarily.
- In microwavable bowl, add the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave the mixture, uncovered, on the high for 1 minute.
- Pull the bowl out, mix the mixture together, and put back into the microwave for another 30 seconds. The mix in the bowl should be relatively smooth.
- Next, stir in vanilla.
- Quickly, before the chocolate mixture gets too chilled, pour the mixture over the cereal. Stir until all the rice chex is coated. Swiftly, pour the new mix into 2-gallon food-storage bag.
- Now, add the powdered sugar. Seal bag and shake until everything is well coated.
- Once everything is well coated in powdered sugar, spread the chex onto waxed paper or aluminum foil to cool. Store in airtight container