In my household, I am always seeking new and delicious recipes that I can safely eat and enjoy. I, also, try to make recipes that Mr. B will enjoy, too, but expand his usual scheme of foods. At times, it can be a bit tricky. Luckily, if not a bit particular, despite Mr. B’s aversion to many vegetables, he is a fan of cauliflower.
So, with this stir-fry, I knew I was in cautious grounds for Mr. B, but my hope that his particular fondness for the cauliflower would help win over my husband – and it did! Despite being having some new food combinations for the both of us, this dish turned out delicious!
Bonus – it is free of the top eight allergies!
STIR-FRY CHICKEN WITH MANGO & CAULIFLOWER RICE
Total Time: 45 Minutes to 1 hour
Free of The Top Eight Allergens
- 1 large head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp of canola oil
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp of dried cilantro leaves
- 1 tbsp of orange juice or mango juice (I used orange juice)
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp of sesame seed oil
- 1/2 tbsp of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1./2 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts; pounded into 1/2″ thickness and cut into strips
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper
- 2 tsp of arrowroot powder
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ripe mangoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp of canola oil
- To make cauliflower rice: Break the cauliflower into florets and remove steams. Roughly chop. Toss into a blender and pulse until the cauliflower looks like rice. Warm canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Toss in cauliflower, salt, and cilantro leaves. Toss in the pan until everything is well coated in oil. Cover the pot and reduce heat to low.
- To make the sauce, pour all the sauce ingredients into a small bowl. Whisk until all the ingredients are well mixed. Put aside.
- To make the stir-fry: Pound the chicken until 1/2 inch thick and cut into 1/2 inch strips. Put the strips into a small bowl. Toss the chicken with the salt, black pepper, and arrowroot powder.
- Cut the onion into thin slices. Peel the mangoes and cut them into thin slices.
- In a large wok or skillet warm the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Stirring occasionally to help form a golden crust, but not to burn, cook the chicken for about 10 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Either washing the just used for the chicken, or using a new bowl, once chicken is cooked through, transfer to the bowl.
- Now, put in the onion and mango into the wok or skillet. Stir-fry until they are tender, which is about 3 to 5 minutes or so.
- Return the chicken to the wok or skillet with the onion and mango mixture. Stir to combine. Now, add the sauce to the combined mixture and stir until everything is thoroughly covered. Cook for an additional 2 minutes until the sauce thickens and starts to bubble slightly.
- To serve, plate the cauliflower first and serve the stir-fry on top.