When I was growing up, during my pre-teen years, carrot cake was one of my favorite desserts. Anything that had carrot was basically my food of choice. I was on a serious carrot binge. In fact, I ate so much carrots at one point in my pre-teen years that my fingertips and around my mouth actually had turned orange! Oops!
During my struggles of trying to find some balance in my onslaught of allergies, one of the few things that topped my list of missing was carrot cake. Needless to say, when I finally got this muffin recipe just right, I was quite a happy camper! It might not be a ginormous carrot cake, but this muffin hits all the notes of a carrot cake. It does not only makes me happy, but my household, too. These muffins don’t last long at the Brecheisen Batch! Mr. B approved!
Bonus – they are free of the top seven allergies!
MUFFINS OF CARROT & SPICE
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Free of the Top SEVEN Allergens
- 2 cups of Pantry Flour (or any flour)
- 2/3 cups of white sugar
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 3/4 tsp of guar gum (or xanthan gum)
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1 cup of shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 1/2 cups of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- Cinnamon Sugar for garnish: 2 tbsp of white sugar with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 35o F. Grease a 12 muffin pan. Personally, I also use muffin liners.
- Shred the carrots till 1 cup. Chop the walnuts til 1/2 cup.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, guar gum, cinnamon, nutmeg. and sea salt in a mixing bowl. Toss in the carrots and walnuts to coat evenly with the mixture.
- Add in the milk, oil, applesauce, and vanilla to the dry mixture until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, make the cinnamon sugar by combining the 2 tbsp of white sugar with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
- Fill the each muffin liner up to 2/3 full. Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar garnish. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until lightly golden. Once done, remove from oven and pan to cool.
All the Best,
THE BRECHEISEN BATCH
Recipe Adapted from Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise G. Roberts