Due to my long list of allergies, there is some comfort foods that have been absent for many and many years. Then, all of a sudden, they come back into repertoire once I cracked the code on a vital part of the comfort food that I could not figure out in younger years. One of these recipes was a good ol’ chicken casserole. A white sauce that actually holds, doesn’t break, and tastes good was being elusive for too many years – and after trail and error, I got it right!
After the many years of chicken casserole being gone for years, I do admit that I enjoy making this recipe. It is a comfort food classic in the household of the Brecheisen batch.
Total Time: 1 hr
Free of the Top Eight Allergens
- 4 cups of cooked brown rice pasta
- 4 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 1/4 cup of rice flour
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of Just Mayo
- 1/2 to 1 lb of Cooked & Shredded Chicken
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 9″ by 13″ baking dish.
- Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil in a deep pan over medium heat and cook the onions until tender. Remove from the pan.
- Add 2 more tbsps of olive oil to the pan to stir in the rice flour with a whisk – and whisk until smooth and frothy.
- Gradually add the chicken broth until it forms a sauce consistency.
- Next, whisk in the Just Mayo, salt & pepper. Stir until mixture is smooth.
- Toss in the chicken, onions, and peas into the sauce to stir together until well-coated.
- Spread the cooked pasta into the baking dish and pour the sauce to cover up the noodles.
- Sprinkle with an additional dash of salt & Pepper. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the pasta and sauce.
- Bake in the preheated oven between 30 minutes to 45 minutes until slightly browned on top.
All the Best,